Bedrock is run entirely by volunteers, with a combined aim of helping relieve the effects of pain and illness and help with their rehabilitation. Hospital radio is an exciting place to develop communication skills & enjoy the challenges of meeting new people & fundraising. All we ask is that you can help us fulfil our objectives.
How Can I help
Our objective is simple; To Help Relieve the effects of pain & illness, and to help with the rehabilitation of patients in Queen’s Hospital and Goodmayes Hospital (And other institutions…) We need volunteers to help us raise funds to maintain our radio service. plus presenters & producers to host shows and create content. Of course, the most important people are our listeners, the patients & health community! We need volunteers to request collect to encourage patients to listen to their Healthy Music Mix.
What skills do I need?
It helps if you are outgoing and enjoy meeting people, especially for collecting requests on the wards or fundraising.
You don’t need expert knowledge of music, nor any technical expertise – most important is a willingness to learn and be part of a team and be able to make a regular commitment
What training is there?
You will receive all the training you need to become an integral part of the hospital radio team.
You will be introduced to the wards and shown how the bedside radios work. You will also be trained in basic infection control procedures. Should you wish to progress to become a presenter, you’ll be trained in presentation techniques and on the technical equipment in the studio. You’ll also have the opportunity to learn and practice all sorts of other skills, from fundraising to setting up outside broadcast events, and from interviewing to management and committee work
We DO NOT offer work experience placements of any kind.
Due to not having regular members of staff on-site during the daytime, our hours of operation are unsuitable for the bodies that issue work experience placements. However, you could volunteer with us more long-term to help develop your skills.
- All Volunteers MUST undergo a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check, this is a requirement of BHRUT & NELFT Hospital Trusts (Whom we work with) the checks are undertake at NO cost to you.
- If successful, new volunteers must pay their joining fee of £15.00 within 30 days of their start date.
- This covers your Annual Subscriptions (see below), administration costs, plus you receive a Bedrock T-shirt.
- All Probationary, Associate and Full members pay an Annual Subscriptions, the rate is currently £10.00 PA.
- None of our volunteers are paid, including Trustees (in accordance with our constitution).
- All expenditure items must be agreed by Trustees prior to payment.
- We do not have the funds to pay travel expenditure for volunteers coming to our facilities, however, Car Park passes maybe issued at discretion & availability of BHRUT & NELFT Hospitals Trust.
- Probationary period lasts a minimum 3 months, before you are able to progress to a further membership stage.
- Volunteers are asked to wear Bedrock T-Shirts (issued on receipt of joining fee ) for all fundraising and events (Think of the t-shirt as a uniform)
- We are looking for more long term volunteers to work with us.
If button above failed, click for a form HERE.